Re: [Amps] triode or tetrode

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] triode or tetrode
From: Vic K2VCO <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 08:30:54 -0700
On 8/26/2010 7:29 AM, Roger wrote:

> think you will find Tetrodes typically have better IM products, but is
> that a problem with modern designs and tubes?

I think that you meant 'triodes have better IMD performance'? Keep in mind,
though, that
many transceivers have much worse IMD than a decent amp, especially if the
transceiver has
a 12v final. I doubt that the amp's performance matters that much in terms of
overall IMD
unless you have an exciter that provides a class A mode for its final. Of
course this
assumes that the amp is not overdriven and is tuned properly.

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA