Re: [Amps] vacuum relay problem

To: Felipe Ceglia <felipeceglia2@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] vacuum relay problem
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 06:17:42 -0400
Hi again Felipe,

If it lasted that long the first time, it probably is not a hot
switching issue... I guess. :)

The way I check for that is with a dual channel scope. One channel
looks at RF from the transceiver during keying or voice/VOX
operation. Transceiver should be feeding to a dummy load, NOT
through the amp. The other channel looks at a small DC voltage fed
through the amp relay N.O. contacts. You want to see that the relay
contacts are completely closed and stopped any bouncing before the
start of any RF output from the transceiver.

In my particular case, the amp relay(s) are completely closed and
stable in 2 milliseconds after key closure or PTT/VOX activation (I
used some speed up circuit on them), RF begins at 7 milliseconds
after key closure or PTT/VOX operation. Be sure to check in the
other direction too... going back to receive. I forgot the numbers I
measured, but I know RF stops some milliseconds before the relay
begins to transition back to the receive position.

73,
Paul