Re: [Amps] Why do tubes cost so much?

To: amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Why do tubes cost so much?
From: Ron Youvan <ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 01:05:17 +0000
Bill, W6WRT wrote:

> I have often wondered why big tubes cost so much. The material in them
> isn't all that great and I would think because they are larger they
> would be easier to assemble than, say, a 6AU6 which is very small and
> intricate but sells for only a few bucks.

> I'm not talking about really massive tubes that take a fork lift to
> move, but tubes on the order of an 8877 or the like.

> Anyone know?

   I believe it is because the grid assembly must be hand aligned and welded in
place with great
precision (and the screen grid aligned with the cathode and grid assemblies
when present) to result
in the ultimate performance we wish to find in every tube we buy.  This results
more more
`insufficient tubes' than a series of machines spitting out 807s.  (or whatever)
--
    Ron  KA4INM - rule of thumb:
                  If it's winders it needs rebooted weekly and will always