[Amps] Sourcing Sheet Aluminum

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Sourcing Sheet Aluminum
From: Patrick Barthelow <apolloeme@live.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 20:37:27 -0700
Another post on the reflector recently asked about best alloys of aluminum to
use in Ham/Amp related projects, a good question, that
I dont know the answer to, just that  I remember T-6 alloy  is hard stuff.

This is a tip to source sheet aluminum cheaply.  Find your local Dep of Public
Works, the Road Maintenance crew.  Go directly to their coporation yard, or ask
for their forman over the phone.  Tell them you are a ham looking for some
aluminum for a Hombrew project, and ask it they have any discarded road signs.
It has been my experience that there is ofen a stack of old signs somewhere off
in a corner of the shop, that never gets forwarded to recycling or whatever.
The foreman, if he is a ncie guy, on a good day, may simply direct youto the
aluminum pile or old sign stack in the back, and say take what you want.  Leave
him off a six pack of soft drinks or 807s an he will be your friend for a long
time.    It is amazing how big a stop sign is when it is set on your workbench.
 The signs' paint  I saw were usually pretty old, and weathered, but the
aluminum was often very good shape.  Unfortunately so far is is usually hard
and brittle so won't bend well, but, the sheet sizes
  are substantial and the price is right.  A little polishing or orbital
sanding will get the aluminum to a nice surface sheen, and perfectly usable.

Best Regards,
73, de Pat Barthelow AA6EG  apolloeme@live.com
http://www.cq-vhf.com/vhf_highlights/2010_vhf/2010_summer_vhf/2010_summer_vhf_echoes_barthelow.pdf

      MOONBOUNCE                                 YURI'S NIGHT