[Amps] Pulse tuning

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Pulse tuning
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 21:25:48 -0700
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 22:07:59 +0200
From: "DF3KV" <df3kv@t-online.de>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Pulse tuning

Agreed.
If one needs pulse tuning not to blow up his amp, he undersized components.

73
Peter

## agreed.  Now the heath sb-220  uses  a 500 va xfmr, and the drake uses a 850
va xfmr.
Tos in collins 30 l-1, sb-200, and old dentron amps[all of em] , yaesu
FL-2100B, etc,.. and u soon get the
point.  They are ALL  undersized HV supplies !!   Run an Ameritron amp with 1.5
kw dead cxr on
160/80m..and the tank coil supports  will melt !    The airdux used in my
buddy's  AL-80B is the same
size as what was in my old drake T4XC 200 w TX.  The polystyrene supports
between turns will not handle
a  of heat.

##  do u really want to tune up a sb-220  with a 2 kw DC input cxr [1200w out]
when the poor plate xfmr
is only good for 500 va ?   I can see temporarily   running it at 50-80%  over
it's CCS  VA rating....but not 400%.
That combo fil/plate xfmr in the yaesu FL-2100B  runs hot as hell..and that's
when it's been on  standby /rx  for 2hrs.

##  Pulse tuning has some other advantages/uses. Like if you have int  arcing
in say a trap, or some other ant
component, etc.   You can leave the pulse tuning on....and walk outside at
night/day, and start looking for
arcing /other problems.

later... Jim  VE7RF