Re: [Amps] Holes vs. screen for chassis ventilation?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Holes vs. screen for chassis ventilation?
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 13:52:32 -0500
I run a Centurion on AM with the expansion steel over the RF deck side
exhaust, and over another hole cut in the top over the tank circuit.  I am
interested in what is motivating the desire for shielding.  3" diam. holes
at HF are not that big a deal except if the concern has to do with safety.
If the concern has to do with "RF exposure" or RFI I can say that I run gear
in the shack like a L network tuner with no cover and open wire line and
never have a problem.   you want shielding if you are running klystron RF or
maybe broadcast radio power levels.  For example, at HF and 160, guys
running some old gear that was shielded to death due to the old TVI problems
are removing the stuff, not leaving it on or adding to it.

73

Rob
K5UJ