[Amps] Regarding skin depth and silver plaing of tank coils

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Regarding skin depth and silver plaing of tank coils
From: LB3HC <rezycle.bin@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 00:03:26 +0200
Thanks to all that have answered my post about skin depth and silver
plating of tank coils.

My conclusion is now that tank coil silver plating is not necessary
for this appliaction. My tank coil will be polished but not silver
plated.

My working assumption about how the current RF behaves on a tubular
tank coil is that it concentrates to the outer surface of the tubing
(skin effect) and that the small percentage of the current that flows
in the high resistance (oxidized, rough) layer of the surface may
cause some loss that shows as heating. As long as this loss is within
the limits I have assumed in my design, it will not cause overheating
of the tank coil. Silver coating will not improve this condition much
I now understand. Silver look is not a design criteria in this
particular design.

73
LB3HC