Re: [Amps] New 2 PA design

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] New 2 PA design
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 02:21:25 -0400

On 10/17/2010 1:37 AM, Baruch Zilbershatz wrote:
> The DL guys that built that gizmo had it clamped with copper bars and screws
> both sides to a copper heat sink .looks great.
> One guy made his own Al heatsink from folded Al strips and on top of it had a
> copper heat spreader.

I hope you mean "on top of it" as meaning "in addition to". Copper, the
better heat transfer material goes *under* the finned aluminum heat sink.
Putting the Aluminum first is like installing a resistor as it would
limit the ability to transfer heat.

Actually this is an ideal place for water cooling and it doesn't take
much. In addition you can even use chilled water.
The heat sink is at ground potential so the problems associated with
water cooled vacuum tubes running high voltage are not encountered.

The best heatsink compound goes between the transistor and copper heat
sink.  Using an all copper heat sink makes more sense than using a
sandwich of copper and then finned aluminum except to save money and
when you get into a project with expensive transistors, the cooling
system is certainly not a place to try to save money. It's a place to
save expensive transistors. Of course if copper is difficult to obtain
in the required dimensions I can understand using a finned aluminum heat
sink over the copper.  This might even be a good place to use the
multiple "heat pipes" in an exotic configuration.

73

Roger (K8RI)