Re: [Amps] construct ferrite "line isolator"

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] construct ferrite "line isolator"
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 11:06:49 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 11:44:03 -0400, "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com> wrote:

>Powdered iron is fine for tuned circuits and high power HF baluns where low
>loss is needed. Even Sevik woke up to that fact.

REPLY:

I know every situation is different, but over the years I have used
literally dozens of those "snap-on" ferrites with almost no success at
all. I have tried both the two-piece rectangular and the clamshell type
but I don't know what mix they are. Perhaps a different mix would be
better.

On the other hand a single moderately large powdered iron toroid has
always worked without fail.  I use Palomar's mix #6 (yellow) in about a
two inch diameter and wind as many turns through it as will fit,
typically about 10-12 turns for smaller wires. Excellent results.

Please note thatI am talking about RFI problems in the shack, not high
power baluns for the transmit coax.

73, Bill W6WRT