[Amps] Question: how to reuse 3 phase transformer

To: "Amps@contesting.com" <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Question: how to reuse 3 phase transformer
From: jeff millar <jeff@wa1hco.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 19:30:01 -0400
I dismantled a broken 5 KW sold state RF power amplifier which had a 3 phase
power transformer.  It has large E laminations with three sets of windings.
The
windings consists of a primary of about 12-10 gauge square wire and secondaries
of 1/4 inch square wire.  Each leg of the E consists of laminations and has
dimensions of 2 3/8 x 1 1/2 inches.  The three sets of winding are 6 inches
long.  The overall size is 12   x 11.25 inches.

I think the transformer ran from 208V 3 phase.  It's delta connected and
produced about 48VDC.

I'd like to disassemble this and remove the low voltage secondaries and rewind
for single phase with a HV secondary suitable for 8877, GS-35b, and maybe the
lower voltage Russian tubes as well.

First question:  How to get it apart?  I'd like to get the laminations out
without damage but there's some polyurethane that bonds the cores to the
laminations.  The cap pieces that bar across the E come out easily.

Seconds question:  Assuming I can get it apart, preserve the three cores, and
unwind the 1/4 inch square wire secondaries.  How can I use the three windings?

I'm thinking that I should put the secondary on the middle leg of the E and
drive the two end primaries in parallel with 240V.  This should put all the
magnetic field down the center leg.  Then discard the existing middle winding
and create a new one wound for high voltage.

thoughts?  and thanks,

jeff, wa1hco