Re: [Amps] our amplifier in 2010 CQWW

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] our amplifier in 2010 CQWW
From: "Roger (sub1)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 22:37:30 -0500
On 11/9/2010 9:15 PM, Dave M wrote:
> haha and here I sit with a wire dipoloe at 35 ft and 1200 watts (if I turn
> out the bedroom lights so the breaker dont pop) the thought of running
> 4/4/4/4 is just a wet dream for me  :)

We all started some where Dave and often circumstances put us back there
one or more times through life.
.
Although power and antennas do matter, skill is at least as important.
Time after time I've see/heard stations work through the pileup with one
or two calls while others I know are running real QRO call...and
call...and call...

That is not to say the dedicated contester/DXer with power and skill
doesn't have an advantage, they do. However, regulations aside there is
no real equalizer to top overall world wide.  BIG antennas make a BIG
difference. BIG  antennas stacked make an even larger difference.
Having 3 or 4 large Yagi antennas stacked that are selectable with the
skill to use them properly makes a huge difference.

Now add an antenna with 13 db of gain at the height for the optimum take
off angle  and it'd take a LOT of brute power to have an advantage.  NOW
skill, with a big antenna system AND power is an ALMOST unbeatable
combination, but both Mother Nature and luck still play a part.

So even the current power limitations are within no stretch of the
imagination, a real equalizer. As they are now I don't see them as
making much sense.  Either have them all at one limit and enforce it
(nigh onto impossible)  of just set it at the limit in each country
which is equally unenforceable for every one.

73

Roger (K8RI)