Re: [Amps] our amplifier in 2010 CQWW

Subject: Re: [Amps] our amplifier in 2010 CQWW
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 18:48:39 -1000
> Some one
> running 2500 watts is highly unlikely to be distinguishable in signal
> strength from some one running 1500 watts.

Yes, that is less than +2 dBLegal.

Yes is is against the contest rules.

Yes it is against the law (in the USA).

Driving 60 MPH in a 55 MPH zone is also against the law, and that is why
all of you who are so upset about someone running +2 dBLegal, have NEVER
driven 60 MPH in a 55 MPH zone. And I think that is a reasonable
comparison. Even running +3 dBLegal could be reasonably compared with
driving 65 0r 70 MPH in a 55 MPH zone. It is NOT like driving 110 MPH in
a 55 MPH zone.

It is too bad that more hams do not have access to an accurate
attenuator, say 0-10 dB in 0.5 dB steps, so that they can play around a
bit with it and see what 2 dB really sounds like. Having that experience
they would know that running 1500 watts from a 2500 watt capable
amplifier, and getting higher reliability and longer life from that
amplifier, is a much better choice than running as much as the amplifier
can put out.

Ken N6KB