Re: [Amps] 2010 Handbook

To: paul@n1bug.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 2010 Handbook
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 07:46:11 EST
Well Paul, if you used alligator clips for the tube connections you could
change the tube in half the time!

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 11/17/2010 5:19:00 A.M. Central Standard Time,
paul@n1bug.com writes:

Roger  (sub1) wrote:
>> 4CX1000A?
>
> 4.    It uses an  oddball socket

I once built a successful 160-10m amp around a 4CX1000A  with no
socket at all. OK, it took 10 minutes to change out the tube, but
you rarely if ever have to replace one.

>       Maximum frequency for full power is only 110 MHz, but I believe
> it will operate at 144-147 MHz at reduced ratings and a pair in PP  will
> easily run more than the legal limit.

I ran a single  4CX1000A at legal limit on 144 MHz for years, never
had any issue at all  with it. These tubes have also been used at 222
MHz, though one doesn't  see that too often.

Paul, N1BUG
Aurora Sentry:  http://www.aurorasentry.com
Piscataquis ARC: http://www.k1pq.org
N1BUG:  http://www.n1bug.com