Re: [Amps] Building a Mock Up

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Building a Mock Up
From: gdaught6@stanford.edu
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 10:07:52 -0800
Lee wrote:

> How many of you amp builders make a mock up of the chassis and layout in
> "cardboard" before you start cutting, bending and drilling metal?

I do one in cardboard to try to 'optimize' layout (never knowing what will
really be
optimum) then I do one in thin aluminum, to get all of the holes where I want
them.
I try to visualize and then mount all of the 'little stuff' like screws that
will hold the
bias board, and RF connectors for the relays, etc.  I REALLY DON'T WANT to have
to tear into the 80% built final version to drill a little hole.

Due to my inability to engineer the whole thing properly from beginning to end,
sometimes end up with 'one way' construction.  That is to say I install a thing
which
prevents access to an underlying thing, which covers another layer of...  you
get the
idea.

To me a fairly complete mechanical mock-up (with no electricity ever applied,
except
maybe to the fan, to make sure the airflow is appropriate) is a very helpful
thing.   If
you're more clever than I, your mileage may vary considerably.

73,

George T Daughters, K6GT
CU in the California QSO Party (CQP)
October 1-2, 2011