Re: [Amps] older 3k

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] older 3k
From: John Becker <johnb3030@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 21:33:58 -0600
> Based on minimal information and assuming you have checked the fuses, my
> first suspicion is you have  3-500 tubes and the solder has melted off the
> filament pins... Very common with Henry 3K (I've been there a couple of times)
> If so, you need to beef up the air flow to the bottom of the tube after
> resoldering the pins...
>
> denny / k8do

Years ago I experienced similar problems with a Hunter Bandit 2000,
which used a pair of 3-400Zs. One of the tubes appeared to go bad but
was fixed by re-soldering the filament pins. Sometime later, the amp was
losing power output and I found cold solder joints on the lugs at the
ends of the filament choke. After re-soldering these connections, the
amp was putting out more power than when it was new!

I also recently resurrected the CRT in a Heath HO-10 monitor scope by
re-soldering the filament pins, and just three days ago I fixed our
microwave oven which had cold solder joints on the control board in the
circuit feeding AC power to the magnetron's power transformer.

Cold solder joints are not uncommon in circuits carrying significant
current after long usage!

73,

John, K9MM