[Amps] Tube Cooling

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Tube Cooling
From: Lee Buller <k0wa@swbell.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 13:13:59 -0800 (PST)

In researching information for an amp using a Russian Tube, I have found little
on cooling requirements.

Usually it is done one of two ways...

1.  Some people develop their GI7B amps with forced air cooling from the bottom
of the tube...through "holes" around the grid mount flange and directing air up
thus cooling the body and the heat sink.

2.  Other builders just place a fan to blow over the whole tube...much like
what
many 3-500Z amp builders did in the 70s and 80s.

What is our opinion about either one of these type of cooling methods?
It seems the #2 method my be mechanically easier but is is the best way of
doing
it?

Lee - K0WA