[Amps] MOVs

To: Jim Thomson <jim.thom@telus.net>
Subject: [Amps] MOVs
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 07:53:01 -1000

>   A similar thing happened with garden variety  130 v rated MOV's....
> too many house fires.  Modern MOV's  for 120/240 v use, will  have a 3rd lead
> sticking out [offset to one side]
> and an internal fuse built into em.

 I don't understand how this can be a useful device. I thought that MOVs
were supposed to draw lots of current, instead of letting it got
elsewhere causing damage to more expensive and sensitive electronics. I
had always thought of MOVs as sort of "sacrificial" devices, intended to
blow up under the worst power surges, and mounted  inside a metal
cabinet so that when they do blow up nothing else is damaged. I would
never mount an MOV where it could set fire to something else.

DE N6KB