Re: [Amps] AL-82 Blowing fuses on startup

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] AL-82 Blowing fuses on startup
From: Gary McAdams <g.m.mcadams@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 23:08:35 -0800
Hello all...

First; my amp has not blown a fuse for a couple of weeks now. The last
replacement was 11-14-10. Even then that was only the second fuse replaced.

Since then, it's been used most every day... That is until the big
windstorm took out my feed line. Repaired that, and the amp has been on
the air every day since.

There is probably still an problem. but until it becomes a constant, I'm
reluctant to simply start tearing things apart.

I, too have had the Ameritron folks on the phone. In addition, I've
heard from a number of you and I thank you all for that. If it happens
again, I at least know where to start.

But even though the consensus is betting on the step-start, no less an
authority than Tom W8JI himself , said to look at the tubes. Tom
designed the thing, I'm inclined to take his advice at face value.
However, having been in the field service arena for over thirty years, I
am also convinced that intermittent problems are the biggest PITA around!

So until/unless it becomes what we in the trades call "A hard failure",
I'm inclined to let it go.

... And now that I've invoked Murphy, its sure to go out tomorrow at the
latest!

73 Gary