Re: [Amps] Fuses

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Fuses
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 09:05:51 EST
All this talk about HV fuses got me wondering how quickly a fuse will blow.
 After some time googling, I realize this simple question is not so simple
after  all.

So, is there a good reference that will answer the question as related to
our typical need to protect amplifier hv components and tubes?

I have a specific application for protecting a non-obtainable twt if
damaged. This particular tube is supplied with 4400vdc at 400 mA through a 500
ohm limiting resistor. The resistor is purposely made this high to limit
fault  current to a value that will not kill the tube in case of an internal
arc. This  technique works ONLY if the fault current is interrupted very
quickly, like 2 or  3 milliseconds.

So, I am thinking that a 1 A fuse will survive turn on surges ok but will
it open in 2 or milliseconds with 8.8 A fault current?

The existing protection circuit uses a simple current sensing circuit in
the ground side of the hv supply that operates a small latching relay that in
 turn opens the control circuit to a vacuum relay in the hv lead. This
scheme  works reliably but there is no way the two relays can kill the high
voltage in 2  or 3 milliseconds.

Any information, comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

73,
Gerald K5GW