Re: [Amps] What to buy?

To: <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] What to buy?
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 10:52:57 -0500
Hmmm, ferrite has never been recommended for RF tank circuits that Im aware
of. Ferrite is fine in receiver and other low level applications mostly at
low frequencies.

Good amplifier engineering has used powdered iron in various mixes,
generally from Micrometals in North America.The #2 mix is the usual choice
in amps for 160-80M and has been in use since the late 70's.

There are huge differences between the 2 materials in regards to losses and
temperature stability.

Micrometals sells direct and Fairite may be purchased thru Lodestone Pacific
(Micrometals also in smaller quantities) considerably less than Amidon,
Palomar, etc. I also have a fairly large supply of Micrometals and some
Fairite at attractive prices as part of the RadioKit resurrection.

My own studies of ferrite began in the late 60's with pot cores for IF
selectivity filters, and peaked greatly in the late 70's thru the 80's when
I was involved with common mode computer equipment leakage and direct
radiation as part of the US Govt Tempest project at Sanders Associates and
Wang Labs. Maybe I should have written a "tutorial" back then as "Pin 1
grounding" was a part of the process (-;

I still experiment as newer materials become available and am currently
involved with audio and power transformers.

Carl
KM1H