Re: [Amps] Alpha 77 start up

To: "Jan Ditzian" <ditzian@windstream.net>, <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 77 start up
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 14:29:21 -0500
Jan,

The problem appears to be isolated to the three-minute warm-up timer.
You're seeing 2600V which is correct while the three-minute  timer is
activating.

First, measure the +24 VDC supply voltage.  It should be fine since you
don't seem to be blowing the step-start fuse.  That would render the amp
completely dead after the step-start resistors finally blew and threw
shrapnel all over the inside of the amp.

The timer circuit is on circuit board CB-2 and is very simple in operation.
Upon sensing +24VDC, C207 (22 uF) begins charging through R222 (10 meg).
This in turn activates SCR Q207, which simultaneously switches a more robust
SCR Q208.  Q208 fire and pulls in relay K202.  Once K202's contacts close,
+24VDC is supplied to the "READY" lamp (and other amp circuits) and the amp
is ready to make power.

CB-2 unplugs from an edge-card connector so you can safely do some
troubleshooting outside of the amp -- If you have an adjustable +24VDC bench
supply, use it for testing.  Otherwise, be extremely careful when testing
components in the amp.  CB-2 is not far from the HV contact points.

As W8JI once said, he's never had to troubleshoot an amp with AC power
applied.  He's right.  It may take longer, but it's a much safer way to
diagnose a root problem.  If you've ever diagnosed an amp problem by
yourself, now is not the time top learn on your own.  Get on-site help if
you cannot work on CB-2 outside the amp.

Paul, W9AC.

.