Re: [Amps] door knob capacitors

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] door knob capacitors
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 17:41:21 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 10:58:39 -0600, Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
wrote:

>You don't want to use doorknobs as loading caps especially on 160.
>they won't handle the current.  Learned that the hard way.

REPLY:

Depends on the doorknob. I have used Russian made doorknobs for years as
tune padders on 160 with no problems. You want ones that are physically
large and heavy, just like the Russkies make them. Lots available on
eBay.

I agree that the little Centralab doorknobs that are about the size of a
grape are no good for carrying lots of RF current. Let the Russians do
the heavy lifting.  :-)

73, Bill W6WRT