[Amps] SB 200 blown diodes in power supply

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] SB 200 blown diodes in power supply
From: Kathy Bookmiller <wb2aio@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 08:46:29 -0700 (PDT)
I know many of you probably consider a SB200 as a driver for your real amps,
but for us QRPers, it is as good as it gets:)
I just blew a diode in HV chain. Now one friend I respect says I should put in
the Harbough board, soft start, etc. Trouble is, that's money I don't wish to
spend if I don't have to. Put in new board is easy to say when you have money,
but us poor underpaid nurses....
Taking a look at mine, I noticed there are 3 diodes already replaced in the two
strings by placing them under neath or on the bottom of the board. When I first
looked at it, I thought they had been vaporized:), so this isn't a new problem.
I'm hoping to find something at Radio Shack I could use and just change out the
newly blown diode, maybe even using the trick the previous owner employed of
just putting in the new one underneath to save taking it apart to get at the
top of the board.
So was wondering what you guys think or your experiences with the SB200. I just
acquired it last summer and otherwise has worked really well when I've needed
it.
73,
Kathy, RN