Re: [Amps] Alpha vs Henry

To: "'Al Kozakiewicz'" <akozak@hourglass.com>, "'Roger \(sub1\)'" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha vs Henry
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 22:01:03 -0400
When reducing power you should calculate input power verses output to find
plate dissipation. What most people do is just back down the drive to reduce
power out on the amp. Well that drops the efficiency when you do that if you
don't retune the amp.

Let's say at full power out the efficiency is 60%. At 1/4 power out the
efficiency will be around 30%. Half power will be somewhere around 45%. So
if you reduce power down to 750 watts out from 1500 you have not reduced
plate dissipation by much at all.

At 1500 watts out with 60% efficiency, input power will be 2500 watts. That
is 1000 watts plate dissipation.

At 750 watts out with 45% efficiency input power will be 1666 watts. That is
916 watts plate dissipation. Almost what you had at full output. The tube
will get almost as hot as at full power out.

Now if you retuned for max output with reduced drive to bring the efficiency
back up to 60% that would drop the input power to 1250 watts and plate
dissipation to 500 watts. Half the heat by just retuning. Still 750 watts
out.

Retuning reduces the input power and also the load on the power supply too.
More heat saved.

But you have to be very careful if you retune. Don't forget that you did so
and later crank up the drive again with out retuning for higher output or
you will fry the grid and maybe have an arc in the plate circuit because of
the under loading.

73
Gary  K4FMX