Re: [Amps] Which hearhkit amp would you choose?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Which hearhkit amp would you choose?
From: "Roger (sub1)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 03:39:43 -0400
On 4/13/2011 12:39 AM, Glen Zook wrote:
> The 200, 201, 220, or 221.  All are very good Heathkit amplifiers.
>
> Don't even think of an SB-230 unless you are willing to change out the 8873
> conduction cooled tube which hasn't been made for decades with one of the
> Russian triodes.  You can buy a couple, or more, amplifiers for what the 8873
> tubes are "going for" these days.

The 8874s are bad enough and they are still made.

It should be possible to take parts from the 8873 and combined with a
GI-7B (and some machining skills) remembering that dust from Beryllium
dioxide is poisonous, to adapt the tube to work.  This would not be a
job for a beginner of the mechanically challenged. <:-))  Having a lathe
and milling machine would be a help too, so we've narrowed the number of
people who could do this substantially to a very small number.

I've seen some nice 8874 conversions, but that too is not practical for
most individuals.

73

Roger (K8RI)