Re: [Amps] wirewound resistor inductance/capacitance parameters

To: "David Kirkby" <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] wirewound resistor inductance/capacitance parameters
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 21:58:33 -0400
From: "David Kirkby" <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
To: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Cc: <pc5m@xs4all.nl>; <Amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2011 5:01 PM

> On 18 April 2011 18:36, Carl <km1h@jeremy.mv.com> wrote:
>> For 160 you can probably do that with a couple of warehouse/stadium
>> wattage
>> lightbulbs. Measure the reactance and add the opposite sign to cancel.
>>
>> Carl
>> KM1H
>>

> Wirewound resistors are not perfect, but at least they will be stable
> with temperature and power applied. The same can not be said for light
> bulbs.
>
> At 2.0 MHz, wire-would resistors might well be OK. But if they are not
> good enough, tweaking them with some external reactance will be a lot
> easier than trying to tweak something that will have massive change in
> parameters depending on the applied power.
>
> Dave

Fortunately for the hobby and industry, light bulbs were the norm for
decades; this included broadcast transmitters.

We now have SWR instruments to help determine the viability of a light bulb
load as well as the ability to make changes as needed. QST ran an evaluation
a long time ago and it was either the 60 or 100W bulb that offers a good
load for a 50-75 Ohm TX.

A little bit of experimenting with series parallel configurations may prove
rewarding.

Carl
KM1H