Re: [Amps] T-T Titan with Pro III Question

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] T-T Titan with Pro III Question
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 17:38:32 -0700
On 5/26/2011 9:02 AM, Bob Arenella wrote:
> Anyone using a Titan 425 with a Pro III? Is it necessary to use a
> keying buffer between the rig&  amp?

The control inputs of the Titan 425 are the base of a chip that you pull
to ground to put in TX mode.  It draws VERY little current, and it's not
bitchy about how good the pull to ground is.

You can download pdf schematics at http://audiosystemsgroup.com/publish.htm

There CAN be an issue with TIMING of the keying. The Titan won't let you
transmit until the TR relay has pulled in, and that takes about 8-10
msec. Most modern rigs have that delay built in -- they delay RF output
by approximately that amount after the DC keying signal for the amp.
Dunno about the Pro III in that regard.  My Titans are fine with TS850,
FT1000MP, K2, and K3, even doing full QSK.  I don't run QSK much
anymore, because I do lots of contesting and would have to replace
relays every few years. I've gotten lazy in my old age.

73, Jim K9YC