Re: [Amps] High SWR

To: 'AMPS' <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] High SWR
From: "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 22:20:11 +0100
On 04/23/09 04:50 PM, Scott McGrath wrote:
> SWR is an obsession with the CB set and some others CB's could not
> tolerate a high SWR due to the cheap finals used the high RF voltages
> would blow the junction.     This effect created the oral tradition of
> 1:1 SWR == Antenna System Goodness (tm).   It's hard to counteract what
> 'everybody' knows.
>
> In reality and especially with a tube amplifier and a Pi output tank the
> antenna system can be brought into resonance at a wide range of
> impedances and resonance is what we are looking for and it really is
> Antenna System Goodness in MOST cases.

You can't change the resonate frequency of an antenna by adjusting the
amplifier. The frequency of resonance of an antenna is for all practical
purposes independent of how the amp is tuned.

You will get 2nd order effects like the RF heating the elements which makes
them
expand so changes the frequency of resonance, but I'm ignoring such things here.