[Amps] Plate Cap Quandary

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Plate Cap Quandary
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2011 04:54:52 -0700
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2011 11:39:58 -0700
From: Jim Barber <audioguy@q.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Plate Cap Quandary
To: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Cc: amps@contesting.com

I wasn't paying attention when the beginning of the thread marched by,
thus the bad timing.

So: center-tap the 10m coil with the Tune C, then just leave the
"left-hand" end open?

The YC156 suffers from high Cout as well, but theoretically has gain up
to around 110mhz assuming I remember correctly. Perhaps this trick would
work there as well... ?

Thanks,
Jim, N7CXI

##  No the "left hand"  end is NOT open!    The "left hand" end goes between
the plate block cap
and the C1 tune cap.     This  puts  1/2 the uh   BEFORE  the main PI net...
and the other 1/2
BETWEEN the  tune and load cap.    The theory is.. the tube C between anode to
grnded grid +
the "left hand" end  makes a STEP DOWN  L  network.     The plate load Z of the
tube is now
stepped down via the L network.. to a much lower value.     A lower value
plate load Z  will of course
require a  high C /low L  main PI net.   It's amounts to a cheap and quick
method to transform the tubes
sky high plate load Z.... down to something the main PI net  can actually
handle.

## the scheme works.. and it works very good too.  I used it on my 3CX-3000A7
amp to transform the
plate load Z  way down on 15m.  It's low enough that I can run a loaded Q = 8
on 15M.     The same
coil  tap is also used on 17M.    On  17M, the Q rises to 12.

##  when using the mfj set up to test all this, the MFJ is placed on the output
of the amp,   A resistor, who's
value is equal to the plate load Z of the tube... is wired  between anode to
chassis, [ or output side of  plate block
cap and chassis]  to simulate the high plate load Z of the tube  [ BEFORE it
get's transformed to a lower value].
Then tweak the tune + load caps for min swr on the mfj.   OK, now leave the
tune+ load alone... and increase/decrease the
freq on the MFJ,,until  the swr on the mfj  rises to 2:1  then  note the freq
spread between these 2 x freqs.  When you add
the extra uh  BEFORE the main PI net.,.. and  now transform the plate load Z
way down.... then  repeat the MFJ test, you
will find that the 2:1 swr points on the MFJ are now a LOT wider.   It's  just
a simple way to see how you loaded Q has dropped
simply by adding the L  network.    The L network is just the tube C + the
extra uh  b4 the pi-net.   The tube C is now 'free C'

##  Like Carl sez.... the L net will have a slight effect on the lower
bands...[ and also transform the plate load Z down a bit... but it's
not a huge  amount]... but it's moot point. If u lower the plate load Z on
10m.... by a huge amount... it will lower  quite a bit on
12m as well [ good].... and not quite as much on 15m [also good].... and barely
any lowering on 20M.  [ good too].

##  you can simulate ALL of this  using the GM3SEK  PI net calculator.  There
is a line on there for the tube C.  There is also a line
on there for  "stray L"  between  anode  and up to the  C1  tune cap.  You can
see right away, by inserting a tiny bit of stray L, that
the resulting plate load Z  is now transformed to a lower value.   The higher
the value of stray L.. the lower the tube Z gets transformed to.
You can also change the loaded Q  on his excellent PI spreadsheet.    By adding
just a tiny bit of stray L, you will see that you can now lower the
loaded  Q.   Add some more stray L... then change the  loaded Q to a lower
value, and keep going.   I usually juggle the values, such that  the
stray L value is the same as the Pi net coil value.... but not always.

##  you can achieve the transformation effect  by tapping the pi net  coil
with the  hot side of the tune cap.... OR
you can use  2 x separate coils.   In the 3CX-3000A7 amp... I used 2 x separate
coils..at right angles...and different values too.
I wound a .66 uh coil..consisting of 7 x turns of  3/8" OD tubing..with a 1.5"
ID... an placed it  between the plate block
caps and the  Tune cap.  Coil between tune and load cap was also 3/8" tubing...
but a lot bigger diam..like 3".

##  Point is  either method works just fine.   The gm3sek spread sheet is dead
on  when adding the stray L.  It seems  to
me that the plate load Z  did not  drop to  1/4 of it's original value, when
using Carl's technique.  It was WAY  down.. but not
that low.  However,   by shifting the C1  tap point over a bit ,  you end up
with even more stray L... and  LESS  coil between
tune and load cap.    Z  is now even lower... which of course requires more
tune + load C..and less coil.

Later... Jim  VE7RF