[Amps] TL-922 --> 21st century

To: Amps reflector <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] TL-922 --> 21st century
From: Vic K2VCO <k2vco.vic@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 14:22:06 -0700
I have a stock TL-922 that I want to update. I'm going to do the following:

-- step start
-- vacuum relay QSK
-- automatic bias switching to cut off tubes when not keyed
-- check / adjust filament voltage
-- replace VHF choke in plate circuit with glitch resistor
-- improve bypassing of HV and filament power leads
-- no, I'm not doing anything to the parasitic suppressors except checking the
resistors!

A question:

The grids are grounded via a parallel combination of 3 220 pf capacitors, a
4.7k resistor
and a 470 uh choke. I don't understand this. I am tempted to just strap the
grids to
ground. What were they thinking?

--
Vic, K2VCO