[Amps] Any new tube research? (WAS) Re: New NXP BLF578XR 1200W LDMOS FET

To: "Roger (sub1)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Subject: [Amps] Any new tube research? (WAS) Re: New NXP BLF578XR 1200W LDMOS FET is "indestructible"
From: Jim Barber <audioguy@q.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 11:58:38 -0700
I made a side-thread for this since it isn't directly related:

This discussion of "super semis" makes me wonder if anyone is still
engaged in vacuum tube research these days. Could any of the basic tube
wear points be improved on with modern technology? Could filaments be
made to emit twice as long without degradation?

I just looked at the CPI Eimac site and I can't see where they're
motivated or have the resources to innovate at the basic level. They
list "Amateur Service" as a product category, which can't bode well for
volume sales... Assuming MOSFET technology passes tubes by at high power
levels, will they just go quietly into the night?

I hope not - there's no second chances with current solid state devices.
Generally speaking, they do not degrade gracefully... ;-)

73,
Jim, N7CXI