Re: [Amps] New NXP BLF578XR 1200W LDMOS FET is "indestructible"

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] New NXP BLF578XR 1200W LDMOS FET is "indestructible"
From: "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 09:49:02 +0100
On 07/23/11 04:34 PM, jeff millar wrote:
> This email describes what I've learned from looking at these modern
> transistors
> for the last few months.  It seems to me like a fundamental crossover point
> has
> been reached.  Silicon processing technology has produced rugged VHF/UHF
> transistors, with reasonable impedance matching for a reasonable cost,
> especially considering all the other costs associated with an amplifier.
> These
> parts will only get better and cheaper as time goes on.

These is an equation, based on the physics of semiconductors, that shows:

P f^2 R = constant.

P = power
f = frequency
R = output impedance

I can't recall the derivation of that, but could dig it out. (It was one of the
things I learned while doing an MSc in microwaves and optoelectronics)

So basically doubling the frequency, you are going to only get one quarter of
the power for the same output impedance.

I don't know how close we are to the theoretical limits of what is possible,
but
perhaps not too far.