Re: [Amps] Transformer material weight

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Transformer material weight
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 19:41:39 +0000
Randy,

> Question about transformers ..
> If I was to buy the laminates and wire to wind
> a 2 KVA transformer and say it weighed 50 lbs.
> What would be a good guess for how much of that
> was iron and how much copper ..??

The designer has some degree of freedom to trade copper for iron, and
the decision will affect the performance of the transformer in the way
of making it better suited for continuous high load, or for lots of
idling time at low load. But a typical distribution for a modern
transformer might be roughly 20% copper, 80% iron. The other materials
have a negligible weight.

Old transformers, designed in times when copper wasn't as expensive as
it is now, typically had more copper, maybe 30%.

Manfred.