[Amps] some more tetrode questions

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] some more tetrode questions
From: "John Lyles" <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 08:36:35 -0600
I agree with Carl (and Ed) about raising the grids DC off ground and still
running GG for RF. Raising the plate V on a 4-1000 with zero bias will raise
zero signal idling current and grid current.
That is exactly what I am doing with my TH628 amplifier at workplace. Both
control grid and screen grid are actively biased with DC but bypassed to ground
in cavity for RF, and it is cathode driven.
Plenty of gain, 15 dB. I pulse the control grid into cutoff (-600) when I don't
need RF power (and remove driver RF), leaving plate and screen high.

BE SURE TO SWITCH SCREEN SUPPLY OFF WHEN PLATE VOLTAGE DROPS.
I use a comparator to measure the sampled plate voltage, and if it drops below
10 kV, I switch off the screen (1500 VDC). Otherwise, destroyed screen.

73
John
K5PRO