Re: [Amps] best deal for Mallory caps?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] best deal for Mallory caps?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 09:17:14 -0800
On 11/23/2011 12:53 PM, Pete Soper wrote:
> I need several replacement caps for my Ten-Tec Titan 725, Mallory
> CGS401T450R5L (long/slim 400mf 450vdc/85c). Newark wants $29 each. Is
> there a better deal available?

Another important point. It's rare for all of the caps in the series
string to fail.  Only one gone bad will cause lots of hum.  I use my
trusty Simpson 260 on the middle Ohms range to read charge and discharge
current as I reverse the leads, and compare each cap to the others.  A
bad one will have a lot less charge and discharge current.  I have three
Titans, so I've been through this several times.  Only once when I've
replaced one has another one come up bad in the string.

73, Jim K9YC