Re: [Amps] dummy load

To: Ham-amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] dummy load
From: Herzog <herzog@frontiernet.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 21:31:05 -0500
see below

On 11/30/2011 1:44 AM, Jim Thomson wrote:

> [...]
yes, i guess;    i recall...didn't know there was a variety in 19656...
as i inferred, i found the load was still there, even with no resistor,
just the copper straps that were supporting the resistor..
> ##  I know abt the salt water loads.    Also, the bird/altronic/cd
> water cooled loads   use plane jane tap water..... and I could go that
> route....but its a waste of water.  Toilet flushs..and then i need a
> flow meter/shut down the amp/open off key line, etc.

yes, we used one, with hose running...until a tech forgot to connect the
interlock, and blew the res...
ps we learned that the globar loads would cause intermodulation and
harmonics.  we had a 60 db spec at 10 kw output, and so finally got
corning class film, oil cooled, and then blower air cooled for the test
line.
It was a southern new jersey company whose name i can't recall,
redmond  or impulse or  RED something?
> ###   I'm gonna try an experiment with a heath cantenna.... and take
> the lid off the old cantenna/resistor.... and stuff it into a new
> paint can....with distilled water..and then blast it with rf..and time
> how long it takes to heat up, any swr change, etc.   I need something
> to handle 10-15 kw pep... and also 10-15 kw,  3 -sec cxr's  [ long
> enough to take steady state readings. [ plate/grid, etc. ]

we finally sold the transmitter to the navy by running it into their
antenna, and having their reception site verify that it met specs; even
though their dummy load also generated crap.

     WHAT TEST TAKES TOO LONG TO REQUIRE COOLING??