Re: [Amps] Fwd: Linear Amplifier Tuning---PROPERLY!

To: donroden@hiwaay.net
Subject: Re: [Amps] Fwd: Linear Amplifier Tuning---PROPERLY!
From: Eddy Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 11:01:27 -0500
On 2011-12-21, at 7:55 AM, donroden@hiwaay.net wrote:

> Isn't it true that if you re-peak the tuning control, then the loading
> is no longer "over-coupled" ?

Hi Don,

I think you've hit the proverbial nail right on the head with that
observation---which, BTW, was pretty much the very same opinion that the
majority of originators of the last batch of e-mails that I received here on
the subject had, as well...

Probably the best easy-to-grasp response (for me, anyway!) that I read here as
to why it is NOT desirable to re-tweak the plate TUNING capacitor as a final
step in the tuning process of a linear amplifier, came from Steve (KK7UV), who
was told---when asking a similar such question himself some time ago---that
"...the answer was something like 'if you do that, you change the load line and
you play cat and mouse between the tuning and loading caps'".

Makes sense to me, I s'pose...

Too bad the movers & shakers in the Amateur radio world of literature---from
Bill Orr back in the day, to the present crop of technical gurus
on-line---couldn't be as descriptive! Hams, by their very nature, are
inveterate knob-twiddlers & adjusters----so why WOULDN'T we re-adjust things
"...one final time" during a tuning-up process...?! A simple & final "HANDS
OFF!" warning after the over-coupling procedure in the descriptive literature
would suffice! Hi Hi.

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ