Re: [Amps] Fwd: Re: Fwd: Linear Amplifier Tuning---PROPERLY!

To: "'jeff millar'" <wa1hco@wa1hco.net>, "'Amps'" <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Fwd: Re: Fwd: Linear Amplifier Tuning---PROPERLY!
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 13:16:19 -0500
Nice article Jeff! I got through part of it but it takes some digesting!

I think that the kind of IM products that we are most concerned about in our
amps is based on 2xF1 +- 1xF2 for 3rd order IM rather than the harmonics of
the fundamental. This assumes two signals being amplified by the amplifier
as in a two tone test. Of course things become a little more complicated as
the number of tones increase.
Of course we are also concerned with the higher orders of IM also such as
5th, 7th etc. as they all can mix with one another once the amp is operating
in the non-linear mode caused by any order of IM products.

I don't think that the phase of the output of the amp has much to do with IM
with narrow band signals such as we use for SSB. When the bandwidth is much
wider such as that used by cellular transmitter amplifiers maintaining a
near constant phase match over the bandwidth seems to be more important.

Our output matching network is not providing an impedance match to our
amplifiers as the actual device (tube or transistor) output impedance is
typically much lower than what our network is set for to obtain maximum
output. We really do not provide an impedance match we just provide an
optimum load for the tube to work into.

I would agree with Jeff that voltage swing compression has a sharper knee
than current limiting. When lightly loaded an amp can easily reach the peak
voltage swing and go abruptly into compression.
When the amp is loaded heavier than the maximum voltage swing it will not go
into sharp compression. The only thing that will cause non-linear operation
then will be emission capability of the tube and or getting outside of the
linear plate curve range of the tube. This happens more gradually than
voltage limitation does with an under loaded amp.

The reason to over couple the output slightly is to compensate for any
increased drive or increased voltage when in actual operation verses tune up
conditions as these tend to increase slightly with SSB operation compared to
a steady carrier.

If you do not increase the loading past the point of maximum output then
turn down the drive so that the peaks never hit the maximum output that the
amp is tuned for. It will accomplish the same thing of not pushing the
amplifier into compression.

I would always re-peak the plate tuning cap as the last thing after
increasing the loading control. That is the only way to know for sure that
you have set the loading control properly because when you change one side
of the matching network it also affects the other side.(it is no longer in
resonance). The heavier loaded an amp is the less effect the plate tuning
will have (it will be much broader). Depending on the Q of the network it
may be broad enough not to make a noticeable difference or it could make a
substantial difference. Either way the proper way is to re-adjust the plate
tune last.

As described above, over coupling an amplifier to keep it from going into
compression is no different than reducing the drive to keep it from going
into compression once tuned at a particular power level.

73
Gary  K4FMX