Re: [Amps] Fwd: Linear Amplifier Tuning---PROPERLY!

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Fwd: Linear Amplifier Tuning---PROPERLY!
From: Larry Benko <xxw0qe@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 13:48:43 -0700
A simple way to look at this is if the non-linearities/distortion are
_symmetrical_ on both the positive and negative sides of the AC waveform
only odd harmonics are generated.  All other cases produce both even and
odd harmonics.  The most fundamental example is a square wave (50% duty
cycle) which only has odd harmonics.  Any other duty cycle has both even
and odd harmonics.  There are some odd (not generally occurring in
circuits) cases where the above is not true but they only detract from
the basic cases.

IMD on the other hand is produced by ANY non-linearity.

The harmonics are easy to demonstrate with the free program LTSpice
(www.analog.com).  If anyone wants a LTSpice file showing this I can
provide it.

Larry, W0QE