[Amps] 87a cured

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 87a cured
From: Charles Harpole <k4vud@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 14:23:17 +0000
For over 5 years, my Alpha has sat in the shack with high humidity and temps of
30-34C.  During that time, it automatically went to Fault 9... and sometimes
Fault 20.... when tried to use.  The "go to fault" was all over the map in
terms of when it would occur but it was usually early after turn on.  The air
conditioner would be switched on in the shack only during operations.

My very smart friend worked on it several times, including replacing all those
expensive PIN diodes, but the problem reappeared soon after that.

On advice of several locals, I began recently to run my shack air conditioner
continuously at about 25C. and set to "Dry."  After abt 40 hours, I tried the
87a.  Perfect operation resulted with no other changes.  It now drives, outputs
RF, and in all ways works as it should.

I guess it just likes cool and dry.   Or the local spirits do.  73,

Charles Harpole k4vud@hotmail.com