Re: [Amps] Different amp recommendations

To: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Different amp recommendations
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 11:24:53 -0500
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
To: <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2012 10:23 AM
Subject: [Amps] Different amp recommendations

> Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 16:14:12 -0500
> From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
> Subject: Re: [Amps] Different amp recommendations
>

> Check Palstar and QRO, dont know what their specs are but a 3 holer
> "export"
> model should do it.
>
> Carl
> KM1H.
>

> ##  palstar is now commander.  the HF-2500E has  3 x  3CPX-800A7's in
> it... but it uses the same HV supply !
> It will do 3.5 kw out, but the xfmr is maxed to the peg, and then some.
> the 3 holer qro and commander can't be sold in the
> usa...only exported.

** On paper but thats "negotiable".
 As far as power, if you keep it at 1500W in the high duty cycle modes the
tubes are running very conservative=long life. Anybody using those tubes is
advised to have a high emission set of medical pulls on the shelf while
prices are still reasonable.

> ##  the QRO 3 x holer uses  3 x russian  GU-74's  [ '4cx-800'].  The damn
> thing sucks 675 ma on idle = blast furnace.
> 225 ma per tube.  [450 ma for the 2 x holer].

** No big deal on VOX CW or SSB. If it bothers you add a bias switch for CW.

> ##  the new commander uses  3 x Eimac 3CPX-800A7's   which is a heck of a
> LOT of $$  to re-tube the amp.
>
> ##  Nothing wrong with the AL-1500/1200/ AL-82.  they will run 2 kw out
> all night long, a buddy does just that every night
> on ssb.   In a rtty contest,  ur not on TX all the time..so duty cycle is
> down quite a bit.   Just crank up the fan speed to max
> on those amps.....if using rtty..and maybe back off on the power..like
> down to 1.2 kw

** Ameritron is having transformer problems recently, I know of 2 AL-82's
that have shorted within days out of the box.
There are also other reports of miswired transformers running at 3900V no
load.....thats great for the caps.

Add to that Ameritron has rejected a complete shipment of 'lytics as not
passing leakage tests.

Since I do a large amount of Ameritron repairs Im always keeping a close eye
on issues.

Carl
KM1H