Re: [Amps] Cell phones, digital cameras and RF

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Cell phones, digital cameras and RF
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 15:43:06 -0500
On 3/5/2012 12:40 PM, Fuqua, Bill L wrote:
>    How many times have you taken a picture of an amplifier tube glowing very
> red with the cover removed and with a cell phone or digital camera?
> I have done it a number of times and yet the relatively intense RF electric
> fields seem to have no effect. I have taken photos of my 4-1000A amp with
> bright red plate and probably 6 or 7kV p-p rf only a foot away or so.
> They must be very well shielded!

They are poorly shielded, but their operating frequencies and physical
construction makes them pretty much immune to HF.
I've never used the camera in the cell phone because no matter how many
pixels they brag about they are limited by the laws of physics and that
tiny lens.
Even the digital SLRs are limited by the lens but with those you can get
the equivalent of a good 35mm film.

The camera in the cell phone is "handy" for some things but not for
images you wish to make full screen on the computer or prints that are 8
X 10 or larger.  At least I've never seen one. Some smart phones have
promised to take multiple images and  combine them for resolution.

73

Roger (K8RI)