Re: [Amps] Cell phones, digital cameras and RF

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Cell phones, digital cameras and RF
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 14:30:55 -0500
On 3/6/2012 8:35 AM, TexasRF@aol.com wrote:
> Hi All, if the phone/camera has issues with rf you have to wonder about
> long term effects on the operator. One would think that brain tissue is less
> robust than a cell phone.
>
> Scary stuff!

Not really.  That's not even an apples to oranges comparison.    It
takes a pretty intense RF field to affect body tissue  and it varies
with frequency.  Your 2-meter HT probably exposes you to a 1000 times of
more exposure than the amp.  Probably a lot more as the antenna is right
next to your skull. Add to that 2-meters has far more effect on tissue
than HF.

You can get within a few feet of the end of your 75 meter dipole being
fed 1.5 KW without exceeding the exposure limits.. You must be much
farther on 2-meters

However were my amp that leaky I'd borrow a calibrated field strength
meter and test the level of RF to which you are being exposed.

The following is not a recommendation:
I've worked on amps with the covers off (Yes I know what "they" say
about never working on one live with the covers off.)  Having worked on
several hundred KW with the doors open its never bothered me.  You
remove all metal before doing such things.  No neck chains when leaning
over your pet project either<:-))

73

Roger (K8RI)