Re: [Amps] Gettering GU-74B's in-place with screen voltage?

To: Russ Williams <hrd998cc@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Gettering GU-74B's in-place with screen voltage?
From: Jim Barber <audioguy@q.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 20:03:54 -0700
Hi Russ,
That seems to be the most common opinion, thanks.

The annoying part is that I gathered all the parts for my DIY HiPot
tester over a year ago, and never had or took the time to build it. I've
heard stories that GU-74B emission life can be extended by breaking the
filaments in gradually, (and that may be true) but what I really need to
know is if the silly tubes will go 'bang' when I fire the amp up.

I suppose for the money invested I should stop here, order a socket and
a cheap blower for the gettering fixture, then build the HiPot while I'm
waiting on the fixture parts. I bought a bundle of 1/2" x 12" x 24"
clear acrylic with the rest of the HiPot parts, so I s'pose I could use
that for the gettering fixture box as well. With 50+ CFM of air passing
through, I doubt the socket would get hot enough to soften the acrylic.

This kind of patience isn't my long suit... Bother. ;-)

Thanks,
Jim N7CXI