Re: [Amps] How to know when filter caps begin to fail

To: Gene May <gene-may@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] How to know when filter caps begin to fail
From: Jim Barber <audioguy@q.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 17:37:58 -0700
Many moons ago my boss at the time was probing about in a live chassis
when an aluminum cap blew. His glasses kept the stuff out of his eyes,
but when he lifted his head I saw he had a chunk of the aluminum can
sticking out of his forehead. When I told him, he calmly reached up and
pulled it loose, then put me to work cleaning up all the paper and gunk
that had showered the shop.

Since then, I've been a bit shy about working directly above a string of
electrolytics...

73,
Jim N7CXI