Re: [Amps] How to know when filter caps begin to fail

To: "audioguy@q.com" <audioguy@q.com>, Gene May <gene-may@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] How to know when filter caps begin to fail
From: Glen Zook <gzook@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 18:23:25 -0700 (PDT)
When I was in high school, the physics teacher decided to have a one-semester
"electronics" class.  There were parts from all sorts of discarded television
sets around.  A couple of the less bright students discovered that if you
plugged the electrolytic capacitors into an AC outlet that in several seconds
the capacitor would explode.  For several days thereafter, one of those
students would go into a classroom (when it was empty) or to a secluded part of
the hallway and plug a capacitor into an outlet.  The results were obvious.

After that, the teacher started checking the capacitors "in and out".  The
"explosions" stopped.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com