[Amps] amp cooling / triodes vs tetrodes

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] amp cooling / triodes vs tetrodes
From: John Lyles <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 00:42:39 -0600
The maker of the TH628 tetrode in France tests them without bias
switching. With 5 Amps of idling Ib, at 28 kV, there's 140 kW kW of
plate dissipation just from the electron beam with no RF drive. In our
test system for cavity amp using the same tube, we have bi-level grid
bias voltage. Normally it is cutoff with -600 VDC, and when an RF pulse
comes along, the bias kicks up to -400, which gives about 5 amps of Ib.
Its all timed from a logic system, so that the bias can change state in
less than 2 microseconds and RF comes up with a PIN diode. The quiescent
dissipation is nearly zero in this system.
K5PRO
John