Re: [Amps] amp cooling / triodes vs tetrodes

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] amp cooling / triodes vs tetrodes
From: "Dave Hachadorian" <k6ll@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 09:08:40 -0700
While we are on the subject of EBS, let me add one item.  I put
an Ameritron EBS-1 Bias Switcher into my AL-1500, and it worked
great.  On rare occasions, with two loud blowers operating, the
EBS would get on the cusp of switching, especially if I had the
compression set on the high side.  It wasn't a big deal, and I
would just back off on the compression.  If I wasn't watching the
plate meter, someone on the air would tell me there was a funny
noise tail on my signal, and then I would look at the plate
meter, see the problem, and back off on the compression.  Later,
I had another problem in that amp, and the EBS made it difficult
to troubleshoot, because I couldn't see the idling current.  I
just bypassed it with a wire at that time, fixed the (unrelated)
problem, and just never re-enabled the EBS.

One of these days, I'll turn it back on again, probably before
WPX CW to help out with the air conditioning bill.  The EBS-1
works great.  I've used it in contests at 1500 watts out on CW,
SSB and RTTY with no problem.  For 40 bucks, it's hard to beat.
The installation instructions are written for Ameritron
amplifiers, but anyone who subscribes to this reflector should be
able to figure out how to fit it into almost any amp.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, Arizona

.