Re: [Amps] Tubes vs. Solid State (was) Expert Amps 2K-FA: AnyOpinions ?

To: <jd0@broadsci.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tubes vs. Solid State (was) Expert Amps 2K-FA: AnyOpinions ?
From: Patrick Barthelow <apolloeme@live.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 08:21:00 -0700
>From a newbie to SSPA heat management:

Are there any on-line references with engineeriing information to design
retrofitted water cooling hardware to  existing large Heat sinks?  Are there
such things to buy, as aluminum tube extrusions, say  1/2" ID, thick wall,with
an outside flat?
Like:
http://images1.hellotrade.com/data2/WN/WF/HTVENDOR-3105392/type1-250x250.jpg

If these could be retrofitted to the flat heatsink, close to existing power
devices, would bonding surfaces have to be de-anodized?  Polished?    How to
determine heat removal numbers?  Would, say, half gallon per minute room temp,
through a 1/2"  tube, with flat, say 4" long,  bonded to a heat sink remove a
huge amount of watts?

Hmmm my questions about cooling RF amps, is very similar to the  Overclocking
enthusiasts solutions to cooling CPUs.  So here is some information from the
QRO CPU engineers:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-210844.html

   I picked up a bunch of Pineapple Technology SS PAs, mostly bench prototypes,
but supposedly  in working condition.  lots of BLF 872 and 861s mounted on  7"
x 7"  x 2-3/4"  or 7 x 14 ,etc.
Many were individual heatsinked board prototype fixtures from this  (or
similar)  Pineapple KW module:
http://www.ptibroadcast.com/pdf/pa1ku.pdf

Whole sink is extruded, anodized, with fins that  are 2", standing proud of the
3/4" thick aluminum base.  Many of the loose boards that are in the ~ 150 watt
category, others are in the  600 Watt category  ( BLF 872s) and are mounted on
anodized ultra flat plates, drilled tapped, to mount on the large heat sink.
Is there a huge difference in thermal conductivity between active packages
screwed directly to machined landings in heat sinks, vice screwed into machined
landings on  matching aluminum flat panels the size of the board, which are
screwed to the heat sink?

Best Regards,
Pat Barthelow; Echoes of Apollo
 apolloeme@gmail.com   apolloeme@live.com
"The most exciting phrase to hear in Science, the one that heralds
new discoveries,  is not "Eureka, I have found it!"    but:"That's funny..."
----Isaac Asimov

      MOONBOUNCE                                 YURI'S NIGHT