Re: [Amps] Babying radios conclusion 2

To: <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Babying radios conclusion 2
From: Charles Harpole <k4vud@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 02:04:51 +0000
The components which "age faster" (citing you) at full load must age only due
to increased heat, as per your logical answers.

However, a well designed unit should have adequate cooling provided.  I guess
that the physical size of the transistor, for example, limits how much heat it
can dissipate regardless of the cooling (not refrigerated, of course_).

If that is true, and it probably is, then one can baby a RF transistor by
running it at less than full rating.  The likely result, however, is so small,
as you say, that over a normal ham rig's lifetime (it being retired for reasons
other than failure), the "saving" is trivial.

Thanks,

Charles Harpole
k4vud@hotmail.com